WD/2020/2047/MAO WD/2020/1994/MAJ See news and comment
We have made a formal complaint to the WDC Chief Executive, because despite the 31 houses at Sharnfold being refused, WDC has not listed this decision at all, and has referred it back to committee. This is ignoring the actual vote - a clear violation of our democracy.
Its argument is that, because the application for the Barns is being revisited due to it being Grade 2 listed, the decision on the houses must also be revisited because it impacts on the barns.
This is a clear twisting of the regulations - because, as the 31 houses were refused, they can have no bearing whatsoever on the barns!
It’s true bureaucratic cloak-and-dagger stuff. To engage in such skullduggery, ignoring the actual law, WDC planning appears to be biased in favour of the developers.
We have sent the following email to our followers and you may have received it already.
Dear Fellow supporters of the campaign against development on the Sharnfold farm site,
We emailed you last week to say that the application to build houses on Sharnfold farm had been refused. However, despite the planning committee voting to refuse the development of 31 homes at Sharnfold Farm, with the minutes confirming this published on the Wealden Council website, both the application to build homes and the application to develop the barns (now Grade 2 listed) have been referred back to the planning committee. We have received this email from the Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government
"WD/2020/2047/MAO – Proposed residential development of 31 dwellings at Sharnfold Farm
WD/2020/1994/MAJ – Proposed change of use to commercial, business and service uses at Sharnfold Farm.
I have now received further clarification from the Council (Wealden District) about the planning applications. I understand that both planning applications are still current and remain undetermined following the Planning Committee that was held on 17 June 2021 and that the Council are undertaking further consultation.
In the circumstances I would therefore urge your Group to continue to make your views known to the Council, since they are obliged to take into account all representations received during their consideration of the planning applications."
Please can we ask you to therefore once again email your objections to these proposals (giving your name and address) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the key points to use in an objection.
WD/2020/2047/MAO – Proposed residential development of 31 dwellings at Sharnfold Farm :-
* is outside the development boundary as shown in saved policies and the Core Strategy
* would have significant negative impact on traffic and pollution approaching the Red Lion traffic lights
* the entrance would be on a bend and likely to cause traffic accidents
* run off from the proposed drainage would have significant negative impact on Pevensey Levels - a RAMSAR SSSI site of international importance
* the needs of an increased population cannot be supported by local infrastructure, schools, medical services etc
* the number of dwellings recently built, and those with planning consent that have not yet been built amounts to a massive increase in population of Stone Cross within 10 years (population in 2011 was 2,484, in 2021 is 3.314, when all houses already with planning consent are built and occupied it could be 6,339)
WD/2020/1994/MAJ – Proposed change of use to commercial, business and service uses at Sharnfold Farm : -
* the barn and cartlodge are Grade 2 listed - the proposed changes would not conserve the features of the property
* there are sufficient under used commercial spaces nearby to meet local needs
* the proposed changes would have a negative impact on views from the 1066 footpath
* the change of use would result in the demise of Sharnfold Farm as a pick-your-own countryside experience
So you see, they’re making us go through the same process all over again, ignoring our politicians’ votes. We have made a formal complaint about this to Wealden District Council - and will keep you up-dated.
Stone Cross Action Group
FULL PLANNING APPLICATION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF 30NO. DWELLINGS,
ACCESS, PARKING AND ANCILLARY WORKS.
VACANT LAND TO NORTHEAST OF UPCOUNTRY, DITTONS ROAD, STONE CROSS,
PEVENSEY BN24 5ET